Burn Permits

Burn Status change email distribution list:
Unsubscribe Here


All Slash piles are now closed for the season. We are still allowing 5X5 yard waste and burn barrel permits at this time.

Recreational fires, cooking fires, and small camping fires consisting of clean wood do NOT require a permit. 

You can get your no cost 10 day burn permits online at the Idaho Department of Lands -www.burnpermits.idaho.gov

Please burn responsible and check the Air Quality Hotline at 1-800-633-6247 (option #3 for Kootenai County) or you can go online to www.deq.idaho.gov/air-quality for conditions prior to burning.  If the air quality is GREEN, burning is allowed. If it is Yellow, a voluntary burn ban is in effect.  If it is RED burning is NOT allowed in the District. 

Kootenai County Fire & Rescue will enforce all burning regulations year-round for areas within our Fire Protection District.  It is the permits holder's responsibility to ensure that they are burning safely and within the regulation guidelines set by KCFR, IDL, & DEAQ.  A copy/picture of your burn permit must be onsite while burning. If you should have any questions, please call our office M-F at 208-777-8500.

Fire Restriction Hotline: 1-844-433-4737 or idahofireinfo.com 

What District am I in?

Not sure what fire district you reside in?  Click here to view a map of the fire districts in our area. (This is a large file and may take extra time to download).

Helpful links for burn permit information: 

Instructions for using the IDL burn permit system

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Recreational/cooking fire rules & requirements

Burn Barrel rules & requirements

Yard Waste rules & requirements

Slash Pile rules & requirements

^ Top